Thursday, April 10, 2008

Summer - NEED ADVICE!

Ok, so this is not a typical entry for me - however, I really need some advice from family and friends, and I figured this was a good way to get it. The problem is that I can't figure out what to do with my summer, out of the following:

Option #1: Stay in Greece as a nanny for my professor. I really like her and her children, I'd make money (in euros & under the table), and I could do some more traveling with my time off.

Option #2: Do a volunteer internship in Belize. This would be good for my Peace Corps application, I'd be doing some great work with youth, and I'd get to visit somewhere I've never been.

Option #3: Go home and either work for YouthNet again (with a promotion) or work for another organization like Upward Bound. Get to be with my family, see my friends, make money, and have some good relaxation time. Would also work on finally getting my driver's license!

There are also cons to each option. With 1, I won't get to go home until probably August. With 2, I'd get to go home for a few days but then I'd be in Belize for 3 months and would only have a week to be home before starting school. With 3, I have to live at home, which of course has it's ups and downs. Also, with 1 & 3 I'd make money over the summer, while with 2 I'd come home absolutely broke.

ANY OPINIONS/IDEAS/ADVICE???
XOXO,
Marilyn

4 comments:

ladiva said...

well you can not ask me because i am extremly selfish and i would want you home so i could see you this summer,lol, but i will put that aside and say if your as sure about still joining the peace corps and you want to improve your application, then go for it because ultimatley it is about your happiness and what you will enjoy!
along with great oppurtunities come great challenges, each with its own set of pros and cons, but since you are in the mood to "carpe diem" then do so, however if your going to be there and think about the family and friends and other things you wish you could be doing, then just come home, either way i would love to hear all your stories and experiences!
and in the end we all want you to be happy! im not sure if i helped or made it worse becasue i have a problem with that! lol!!!
p.s. just ask yourself this question. " can i do this any other time in my life?" and whatever that answer may be, pick which is better!
hope i helped! lol
i miss you sooooo much!
and good luck!
p.p.s this is destinee~

Rachel Disbrow said...

Well, from the I-need-money perspective that I have, I'd say don't go to Belize unless you're really passionate about going, because then at least you'll have been paid in experience and enjoyment of the experience. As for the Peace Corps app...you can do other things like something during J-Term and do volunteering in NoHo area. As for staying in Greece, I will not be there (po po) to keep you company, and you'd have to change your plane ticket and that could be costly, and you won't have the same friends around and such as you have during the semester. You may get lonely, unless you get some connections with some hot Greeks. But at least you'd be making money.
Now the main question is: how much would you benefit financially. Athens is expensive and if you're traveling too...then you may not be coming back with much. But also if you're looking at building your resume, then being a Nanny or tutor in Greece won't help you out much. The third option, at least you'll have the money situation taken care of, and maybe you could shake it up by going on little trips like to Montreal, NYC, maybe Virgina Beach or something. Plus you'll be working at a higher position in a job you are familiar with. But, personally, I cannot stand being with my family for longer than 2 weeks, and after being in a city for a semester, I'm itching to get back into one for the summer, which may happen to you. So those are my suggestions. But seriously, you're young, you only life once, blah blah, so do what you really think will make you the happiest, but within reason. For me, money is such a huge consideration that I can't run off to Belize, but if it's not THAT big of a deal and you're going to be working when you're back at Smith, then do it if you think it's going to be a really rewarding experience.

I was looking at my friend's pictures from Greece and I was getting so sad! I was like "ugh ANOTHER archeaological site!??" but now I'm missing all the ancient rocks. :( enjoy your time there. I may have you pick up a big Greek flag for me and I'll give you some $$$ when I see you for it...

(PS Andrew and I broke up. I'm not sure if I told you that, but it was a mutual separation, and we're still talking and such. We're just in different stages in our lives and it's not like I'm ready to settle down or anything. I don't think I told you that yet, but in case I did, sorry for the reiteration.)

ång∑¬ said...

Dont choose option 3, i know.

bollybutton said...

Stay in Greece, girl. Get a job on a island. Trust me on your deathbed you'll remember it fondly.