Sunday, March 30, 2008

At last, an update!

I've gotten a few complaints lately about not updating my blog. I'm VERY sorry, but I've been busy, plus my internet connection has been awful so I couldn't upload pictures. So just to sum up the time since I got back from Rome:
  • My friend Rachel from Smith, who did CYA last semester, came to visit. I only got to see her once but we had a good time.
  • The entire country basically went on strike to protest pension reforms proposed by the government. This wouldn't have been such a problem had it not meant power outages (electric companies on strike) trash overflowing on street corners (garbage men on strike) and major transportation difficulties (yup, metro and buses on strike too!) Let's just say I'm glad it's over.
  • From Friday the 21st to Monday the 24th, I was in Northern Greece with my 'History of Macedon to the Death of Alexander the Great' class. Thessaloniki was unimpressive, but the countryside of Northern Greece was BEAUTIFUL. Very green, with huge mountains in the distance and wild flowers coming up everywhere. I especially loved visiting the site where Aristotle had his school (where he taught Alexander and other children of Macedonian nobility.)
  • Tuesday the 25th was Greek Independence Day. We saw an awesome military parade which I unfortunately have no pics of. The parade was crazy - they seriously brought out heavy artillery, not just a couple of tanks but a ton of them, and they had crazy anti-aircraft vehicles, missile launchers, guys with huge guns and grenade launchers, even guys in scuba suits (not really sure why.) There were also helicopters and fighter planes flying overhead. It was intense.
  • Since then I've just had a normal week of school, nothing special. Tuesday we all leave for our last CYA trip, to Olympia and Delphi. I'm REALLY excited - I've wanted to see Delphi for so long. I'll definitely post pics after!

This is on the grounds of the school. I called it my enchanted forest.

This is my class, listening to a presentation on the site. Those are the outside of caves behind us. We explored them, just like Alexander did!


This is my friend Anastasia and I. We put our scarves on because it was really windy, then decided to take a pic. We look quite marvelous, yes? LOL.

This is a really random shot of some of us watching the Parade last Tuesday. Don't ask... lol.

That's all for now y'all!
xoxo
Marilyn

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey mujer!

glad you are having fun! school is ok... just busy, cant believe graduation is around the corner... and am looking for a job. Hope to see you after you come back!
takecare

titiA said...

Mari, I'am so glad your having a great time. Keep enjoying your self. Love Titi